Try Audible Free For 30-days

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Benjanunu Sriduankaew's And The Burned Moths Remain

And the Burned Moths RemainAnd the Burned Moths Remain by Benjanun Sriduangkaew
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So, here's the thing. I really liked this. The language was great and the world was interesting. I really felt for the characters. Truth be told, this is one of the best Sci-Fi shorts I've read.

Now, let me address the elephant in the room. The author herself.

Am I going to say that she is misunderstood and that people should maybe back off? No. I get it. She said some terrible and cruel shit.

That being said, I don't think that she is a horrible person. She is, in fact, a normal person like most of us who gets angry and sometimes says things that she regrets and that are mean.

Art, in any form, is not wholly about the person creating. There are, of course, exceptions. If someone wrote about their time in the racist south and talked on and on about how they liked killing people of color then yes, perhaps you wouldn't want to read it. And yet, even then one could find something in that horrible darkness.

If there were an issue that I had with this story it would be that it is overly wordy. Sriduangkaew could have trimmed the far of this tale and made it much leaner. Much more powerful.

But none of this matters. Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game and that is a beautiful novel. People love that book knowing how anti-gay he is.

Seriously, if you can forgive him for his faults, why not her? I mean, it seems sort of sexist to out her but not him.

And besides, the writing is REALLY good. So, look past these things and enjoy the art here. The person is not the art.

You don't have to forgive her if she has offended you, you don't have to support her, but don't oust her when you wouldn't do the same for someone else.

View all my reviews    Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks

Please click an add to support my blog! Thank you for reading, and don't forget to subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment